DAVID E. MILLS
David Mills was named as one of five “Lawyers of the Year 2011” in the United States by the publication Lawyers USA. He is a federal appellate attorney and adjunct professor of law who has argued at the Supreme Court of the United States, obtaining a 9-0 decision in Ortiz v. Jordan. He has also represented various U.S. Senators and Representatives at the Supreme Court, filing an amicus brief on their behalf regarding securities class actions in Halliburton Co. v. Erica P. John Fund. Additionally, Mills has significant experience representing people who have been wrongfully imprisoned, including Kwame Ajamu and Wiley Bridgeman--two brothers who spent 25 and 37 years behind bars for a murder they did not commit. Mills’s practice has been featured in numerous publications, including a cover story for the ABA Journal and recognition by SuperLawyers magazine. In 2016, he successfully argued in the Sixth Circuit for reinstatement of a $15.6 million jury verdict plus interest on behalf of a paving company forced out of business--the case ultimately settled for $24 million.
Additional Experience and Education:
- Argued more than 15 appeals in both civil and criminal cases in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. The Sixth Circuit overturns a lower court’s decision approximately 8-10% of the time. Where Mills has sought to have the Sixth Circuit overturn a decision, it has done so more than 60% of the time.
- Appellate Practice professor at law schools of Case Western Reserve University and the University of Toledo.
- Judicial law clerk at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit for Judge R. Guy Cole, Jr.
- Judicial law clerk at the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia for Senior District Judge Louis F. Oberdorfer.
- Litigation attorney at the international law firm Jones Day.
- Scored in the 99th percentile on the multistate criminal-law section of the bar exam.
- J.D., The University of Michigan Law School (with Honors).
- B.A., Colgate University (Mathematics, Phi Beta Kappa).
- The Supreme Court of the United States.
- U.S. Courts of Appeals: First, Second, Third, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh,
- Tenth, and D.C. Circuits.
- U.S. District Courts: District of Columbia, Northern District of Ohio,
- Southern District of Ohio, and District of New Jersey.
- The Supreme Court of Ohio.
Selected Speaking Engagements
- EATON Corp., Cleveland.
- Ohio State Bar Association, Appellate Panel.
- Federal Bar Association, Supreme Court Panel, Cleveland.
- American Constitution Society, Cleveland.
- University of Santa Clara Law School, American Constitution Society.
- University of Toledo, Annual Symposium.
- Cleveland State University School of Law.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law.
- Jones Day, Cleveland.
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Litigation Institute.
- Cuyahoga County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.
- Kent State University, Paralegal Studies Program.
- Public High School in The Netherlands.
- Marquette Law School, Law Practice Class.